Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Still true

I wrote this many years ago - at least ten! - but it's still true, Bradley Mark David Plett, and don't you ever forget it.


Anniversary

Plan a love poem.  Find paper and a pen.
Go back to the beginning, to easy
high school days, long talks in the lingering
light, a snowball fight through an open door.
Evenings in the library, forgetting
math and physics, so you can teach me all
that again, unaware you'll find your own
excuse to bring your books to my table.

Collage two decades of mountain picnics,
backpacks, road trips, bright prairie Christmases,
mortgages, burnt toast and babies, new jobs,
old friends, hospital beds, gravesides – all, all
tempered, enhanced, by your companionship -
you, hero, of this small, satisfied life.


5 comments:

C&M said...

A-Men! and congratulations! :-)

C and M said...

A-Men! and congratulations! :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful ... pertinent now and forever, I expect. Clyde

Anonymous said...

That last line gives me goosebumps every time I read it.

ccap

LC said...

Lovely... and I hadn't heard how the surgery went, but did pray. Now I feel lighter. Grace and peace to all of you...