Sunday, August 07, 2005

Tag!

In lieu of actually thinking about what to post about summer colds and sunburns, I'm going to pretend I got tagged over at either Fumbling For Words or CCAP's Life.

What I was doing 10 years ago today:
Approximately ten years ago today, TechnoBoy asked me to go away for the weekend without knowing where we were going. Huge reach for me, but he so loves surprises that I agreed to it. We spent a weekend camping towards Spokane, where we went to a John Denver concert in the park. Now I realize there are some of you who wouldn't cross the street for that kind of music, much less go to another country, but it's the music we fell in love to, 25 years ago, and I have few finer memories than sitting outside under the stars listening to John Denver. On the way home (we drove all night in order to get to work on time the next day) I realized that for the first time in probably five years, I had not once ached to have a child with us. For the first time in five years, I had a glimpse of what a contented life without children would be, and for the first time in five years (or more) I believed it was possible. A week or two later, we met A's birthmother.

What I was doing 5 years ago:
Umm umm umm. August 2000. Bet I was hot. Sometime this month I was walking my firstborn (anal-retentive Poet pops in to say .."umm ...born?" Shut up, Anal Retentive Poet) to kindergarten for her first day. Probably right about now I was crying. I cried the whole month before she went to school. I'm much better now - it's usually just the last week before school starts, and even then, I only cry once or twice. Usually I just drive by the school, giving it black looks and muttering "Whose kids ARE they, ANYWAY?". I also break into mournful song at supper time - either Turn Around or Slippin' Through My Fingers. The children, basking in being thus treasured, leap to their feet and clamp their hands over my mouth, shrieking all the while. It's very moving.

What I was doing 1 year ago:
Being bitten by a mosquito. This is Canada, isn't it?

What I was doing Yesterday:
Cooking pancakes at a picnic table, and hanging out at Miette Hot Springs. Chatting up a woman in a nice bathing suit (aside: ever notice how many people look really BAD in a bathing suit? This woman didn't, and I felt compelled to tell her.) We had a lovely chat, and I managed to hide my shock when she told me the gray haired man I had assumed was her father was her husband. They had the liveliest two year old on the planet. The only moment of peace either one of them had all day was down by the picnic tables, later, where I saw them all seated eating sedately, with the curly haired angel firmly strapped into his car seat, throwing food at them.

What I will be doing Tomorrow:
Going to church and hanging out with my family. Seeing how my flowers are doing after a week away. Picking up the guinea pig. Letting my SIL and her family in ;)

5 Snacks I enjoy:
Sigh. Always with the food. Doritos, crab-flavored pollock on toast, bits of cheese, popcorn, saltines and butter.

5 Adult Beverages:
Don't like the taste of alcohol.

5 bands I know the lyrics to:
I'm taking creative license with the term "band". Billy Joel, Michael Card, Abba, John Denver, Randy Stonehill

5 Things I would do with $100,000.00:
Buy a tiny impractical car that I likely wouldn't even fit into, pay off some debt, take a long holiday somewhere I've never been, take TechnoBoy to Paris for a weekend, get the backyard landscaped

5 Locations I would run away to:
HongKong, London, Vienna, Venice, the Netherlands (they have separate traffic lights for the BIKE PATHS. With little red, yellow and green BICYCLES)

5 Bad habits I have:
Blogging instead of sleeping, asking my kids to do things I could do for myself, moaning about being overweight while drinking Coke, procrastination, burping out loud when I think I'm alone

5 Things I love doing:
Blogging instead of sleeping, writing, reading, laughing, praying

5 Things I would never wear:
anything gree - oops. Except those green clothes I now own ...okay but really. A bikini, a nose ring, nipple clamps, false eyelashes, 17 ear-rings in one ear.

5 TV shows I like:
Without A Trace (because I like that old guy's face - it's interesting) er (especially when they forget themselves and get all medical on us) THE AMAZING RACE, that Xtreme games thing from some other country where they have to do stupid things and the voiceover is so far from funny it's hilarious, Dharma and Greg (I don't care if it's still on or NOT)

5 Movies I like:
Amelie, Chocolat, The Very Long Engagement, The Princess Bride, The Gods Must Be Crazy

5 Famous People I would like to meet:
Well a) define famous and b) Michael Card, Angela Hunt, Oprah, Patricia McKillip, Anne McCaffrey

5 Biggest joys at the moment:
Making B laugh, finding out what A is thinking (its always something, and it's rarely predictable) gardening, my job, TechnoBoy

5 Favourite toys:
sewing maching, computer, BopIt, the New Car (even though I refuse to drive it) the GPS software on TechnoBoy's laptop

5 people I tag:
Whoever wants to.

5 comments:

Kassi said...

Aren't you away ???????

Kassi said...

BTW ... you blog more when you aren't here than I do when I am !!!!

darien said...

after all that 'B, guess what we're doing on THURSDAY routine...' and you're REFUSING to drive the new car? Let ME!!!

Accidental Poet said...

I drove it today. Very delightful. Didn't take it out of Riverbend, though, out where big bad mean cars might hurt it ...

Barefoot Guy said...

I love Randy Stonehill! I also love Keith Green, I know they were friends too. What passion for God, and what honest lyrics.

I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music on my site. All my music is free for download. Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
________________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free for download."