Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Of all the things I've l*st, I miss my mind the m*st

Okay that's a lie. Of all the things I've lost, I miss two things the most - a poem entitled "Since You Died" ...arguably, since I wrote it, I should be able to recreate it. I've been trying to figure out an ending for it for approximately six years (what year is it? what year did my Dad die?) and I finally got it a few months ago, and now I can't find the rest of the poem. It's making me crazy.

What's making me crazier, however, is the loss of all my preliminary notes for the novel I'm going to write while I'm off work for a few months. You can't turn the house upside down looking for an electronic file. (Glasses are easier. I found mine under my computer desk after an hour of searching yesterday. I finally went and got the guinea pig out of his cage so that I would have a reason to talk calmly and reasonably as I wandered half-blind around my house trying to find my glasses so I could see better to find my glasses.) This whole novel thing is mildly annoying anyway - I've got this woman wandering around my head, nagging at me to write her down, and I keep telling her I'm a poet, and she should go away. And she completely ignores me. Now I'm telling her I've lost ALL MY NOTES and she just shrugs. Apparently that's MY problem and not hers, and she's not going away until I start the ruddy book.

Hmm. Maybe I have lost my mind after all.

5 comments:

darien said...

okay, six hours have gone by and no one has contradicted you yet.....is that saying something? I'm not saying that it is, I'm just asking ;-)

Accidental Poet said...

Nobody reads this blog except you and me?

bjH said...

I read it, but I usually smile and nod and go away.
I think the woman in your novel has sabotaged your notes, because she didn't like the way the story was going.. Be patient. Her conscience will get the better of her. You'll find the scribbles the next time you clean out the guinea pig's cage?

Kassi said...

Well pfft ... I was too busy chatting to you and not working to comment, but your mind seems in perfect working order, all present and accounted for. Mine, on the other hand ...

Heather said...

Oh, she won't go away until you write her down, and even then she'll keep nagging you to go back and GET HER RIGHT!